Chandigarh (Gurpreet) – After Mondelēz International’s announcement on the launch of its fourth global consumer trends study, the State of Snacking™ report examining year-on-year insights on how consumers make snacking decisions, the company today unveiled the India report. The 4th edition of the study highlights how economic challenges are impacting consumer snacking choices around the globe. On the bright side, most surveyed Indian consumers continue to prioritize snacking, despite rising costs and inflationary pressures as snacking’s become the sole way to get respite from worldly issues. Thus, 86% of Indians continued to find room in their grocery budget for snacks.
This is at the back of an evolving relationship with food wherein snacking has become a daily staple as 76% Indians claim to snack twice a day. Other key findings of the India report state:
- Essential: Chocolate remains essential with 83% saying that chocolate is for the soul.
- Indulgence: Consumers are seeking that indulgent snacks are part of their everyday life (77%) and that they provide moments of peace in their day (81%). As per last year’s report, 88% consumers surveyed snacking improved mental health emotionally
- Connection: Snacking also offers routine moments of togetherness. Eight in 10 consumers (79%) snack to connect with others with nine in 10 (88%) saying, “sharing snacks with others is my love language.
- Trust: Indian consumers also report having more faith in known brands to carry them through this time, with 85% saying, “known brands are better equipped to deliver during challenging times.
- Mindful: Many are also tuning into portion sizes, saying they take time to portion out snacks before eating them (82%) and check nutrition labels on snacks before buying them (86%)
Nitin Saini, Vice President - Marketing, Mondelez India, added, “This year’s report rightfully captures how Indian consumer view snacking as a way to build connections or steal small moments of indulgence in their lives. While intuitive snacking on the rise, it is interesting to note that conscious consumers aren’t a monolith but are reframing indulgences to feel more permissible. Our study further indicates that today’s consumer is making judicious snacking choices that ensure individual’s well-being. As a global snacking leader, these insights validate our focus on delivering the right snack, for the right moment, made the right way as we continue to lead the future of snacking.”